[Chester LUG] Coraid.

Stuart Burns stuart.james.burns at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 21:35:53 UTC 2011

Hi,

Just a few words from me. TBH Never heard of the

The major thing with buying SAN is that you are putting all your eggs in one
basket. You want dual everything as a minimum ie, controller, psu, NIC.

The support is also super important. Suppose you lost your array, would this
company give you a 4 hr on site response ? You pay for the service. This is
where HP/Hitachi/Dell/EMC win. What about software support for it?

You also need to look at your storage requirements. Those boxes Coraid do
don't seem to allow storage tiers. Ie you get fast 10/15K SAS drives for
your DBs and then slow big n cheap SATA for file access. This isn't
essential, but it allows you cost/speed flexibility in your storage design.
Will you ever want LUN replication (DR scenario) or dedupe ?

Also, have you looked at your data growth projections. If you are writing it
down over 3 or 5 years, it needs to last that long.  Can you add additional
storage trays ? If you want I can put you in touch with people who can get
you very very keen pricing on HP or HDS (HDS are a bit pricey even though
they are awesome bits of kit)

We can discuss on Wednesday, if your going.

Stu