[Chester LUG] Ideas for tech talks

Ben Arnold benarnold at fsfe.org
Sat Apr 27 13:45:21 UTC 2013

I'm going to refer to Peter's comments on the other thread, as well as
Stu's. Take that, netiquette.

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 05:30:48PM +0100, PETER SWANSON wrote:
>    We also thought advise on OOP could come in handy

I didn't realise there would be interest in OOP and development stuff.
I'd be happy to take a few minutes to show how in Ruby you construct a
bunch of classes, objects and do stuff to them.

Would any Python / PHP / Bash / Butterfly* coders like to show their way
of doing it? Either as I go along you can butt in, or replay what I did.

* http://xkcd.com/378

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 01:56:35PM +0100, Stuart Burns wrote:
>    It could even be an idea to walk through setting up an sql server
>    and building a very basic front end web app. I mean a real basic
>    one like a basic to do list but with a priority assignment per
>    item. That way we have a great informative tech talk with a useable
>    and expandable app that we all built for ourselves.

Ah! That sounds great, Stu. I imagine some of the group have never seen
any database stuff in the slightest, so would be good exposure.

My talk above could have a little bit of this, as part of Rails is the
ActiveRecord ORM. I needn't go into Rails as one can use it directly,
and of course database programming is a wholly different talk that I'm
certainly not the person to give. How about I code my demo in such a way
it can "just" use the database you create?

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 01:56:35PM +0100, Stuart Burns wrote:
>    It would be ideal to be done in a talk and walk along style so everyone
>    can do it on their laptops as they learn. Heck we could even put the
>    source code on the lug website for people to download and play with.

+1

In the spirit of F/OSS, are there objections to me creating a GitHub
organisation for Chester LUG, and we can upload code, recordings or
transcripts of talks? In return I'll demo basic Git & GitHub, since you
can commit etc. to GitHub-hosted repositories using just the GH website?

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 01:12:21PM +0000, mattyaston at gmail.com wrote:
>    Sounds great to me,
>    il have a think and see if im brave enough to talk about anything

Anyone else firmly of the belief that it doesn't matter how crap it ends
up being (or not, dear cynic), doing it is way better than not?
Lightning talks are a thing; why add unnecessary complication :)

Cheers,
Ben

--
Ben Arnold