[Chester LUG] Linux Mint

Les Pritchard les at chesterlug.org.uk
Fri Feb 22 17:15:58 UTC 2013

Thanks for all the feedback. In the past I've always been happy with other
versions of Mint, I use the Debian edition on a forensic desktop and that
deals with big (TBs) sized files with no stability problems. So maybe this
is just an odd blip. I always used to use Ubuntu on the desktop until a
couple of years back, then on this particular desktop I was using Pinguy.
Not a very well known distro, but it worked really well on my hardware.
Trouble is it didn't have a smooth upgrade path, hence the change. I
figured being the most popular distro out there, Mint can't be that bad.
Just wondering if the KDE version is a poor relation.

David: Yes it was Nadia that I downloaded a couple of days ago. Come to
think of it, I installed from the same ISO onto a virtualbox VM and I
didn't get a problem then. So it's very strange, maybe it randomly picks
from a list of sources and just some of them are incorrect?

Dan: I've used Kubuntu a few times and did like it, I was just wondering
how well supported it was now. From what you say, it sounds like it is
still going strong and could be a good option.

Les