[Chester LUG] Recommended alternatives to Skype

Roger Gibson roger at rcgibson.plus.com
Thu Mar 12 11:59:35 UTC 2015

Thanks.  One reason for getting fed up with skype was that my account
just vanished, with about £8 of credit in it.  I followed all the
instructions to get it back, but skype were stunning by their silence.
Maybe I  would not open a Windoze account.  I've written off the £8,
opened a new account, under the same skype name, and vowed never to put
more than £10 in credit.  Maybe accounts just vanish if unused for a
couple of months.  It is very none user friendly, and I get confused
when a click on the site sends you to a web page and you don't realise
this.  I suppose I don't use it enough.  Thanks for help, and to Les for
keeping it live.  Must come along soon.  Roger.

On 11/03/2015 17:58, Michael Crilly wrote:
> RedPhone. Highly secure. It's a VoIP service. Checkout SilentCircle
> too. Again, heavily security focused VoIP service.
>
> I've not used anything other than those and Skype. I find Skype works
> really well for me.
>
> - Mike
>
> On 11 Mar 2015, at 17:03, Les Pritchard <les.pritchard at gmail.com
> <mailto:les.pritchard at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Roger,
>>
>> I see you didn't get any suggestions. I've not found a reliable
>> alternative for Skype that works as well on all platforms, but I'd be
>> interested to hear if anyone else has found something.
>>
>> Les
>>
>> On 4 March 2015 at 15:06, Roger Gibson <roger at rcgibson.plus.com
>> <mailto:roger at rcgibson.plus.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Folks,  I'm getting very p****d off with Skype.  Can anyone
>>     recommend a reliable package as alternative.  All I want to do is
>>     make cheap international calls, including to mobiles, from
>>     wherever I am in the world at the time, to wherever I want to
>>     ring.  Any recommendations most welcome.  Many thanks - Roger.
>>

>>     -----
>>     No virus found in this message.
>>     03/03/15

-----