[Colchester] The aftermath of Software freedom Day

Jai Harrison jai at jaiharrison.com
Sun Sep 9 19:33:23 BST 2007

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this but the GParted
program has difficulty resizing NTFS partitions and a lot of the time
the Ubuntu installer will fail to resize it... I've gotten around this
by using Partition Magic (pre-Norton version) when necessary. I don't
know if this is a problem with other distributions but I imagine it
probably is seeing as they'll use the same NTFS
libraries/dependencies.

This is a potential problem for people that are trying to install a
Linux distribution alongside Windows XP. It might be worth advising
them to run a full disc check in XP first that should fix any obvious
errors that stop GParted from resizing NTFS partitions. This, of
course, won't be a problem for people running XP on Fat32 formatted
drives.

Jai "Venko" Harrison