[Colchester] Introductions

Phillip Sacre phillip.sacre at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 11:16:11 BST 2007

Hi

I've just joined the Colchester LUG list, so I thought I'd introduce myself!

I've been a Linux user now for over two years - started out with
Fedora Core in August 2005, and then migrated to Ubuntu about a year
ago. I've also used Gentoo before, on a spare machine. Also I have to
use Red Hat at work, the previous company I worked for was quite small
so I had to do a bit of linux sysadmin work (firewalls, vpn, mail,
that sort of thing).

If I'd known there was a LUG around Colchester I would have joined two
years ago -- I just assumed there wasn't, I don't know why. Just goes
to show, you should always Google this stuff before assuming!

My day job is a Java software developer for a company based in Ipswich
(I live in Colchester).

My first Linux 'convert' was my wife, who I basically forced into
using Linux when her laptop got overloaded with crap and stopped
working (cue obligatory Microsoft joke): well, it was using Windows,
it was inevitable! But she's been using Ubuntu now for over a year and
seems to be finding it just as easy to use as Windows.

Well I think I've rambled on for long enough now. All that remains to
say is, I hope to see you at some Colchester LUG events - I might not
be able to make many of the monthly meetings as I have something else
on weekly on Thursday evenings, but I'll try and get there when I can.

Cheers all, speak to you soon.

Phill

--
web: http://phillsacre.me.uk