[Colchester] Introducing Tobster

Toby Whaymand toby.whaymand at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 26 19:06:59 BST 2007

Hi,

I would like to introduce my self to the group as well.  My Linux story
is a little crazy but I am glad that I did it.

I basically got fed up with using Windows and I knew that there were
other operating systems out there which were better and I became excited
at the idea of not being a Windows.  I kind of know Windows inside out
and back to front and it just became boring to use.

But I also did not realise how little I'd knew about computers outside
of Windows - this was about two years ago.

My old computer was made in 1998 and I'd been looking at this thing
called Red Hat

Like a fool I ordered a computer got it in the post and installed it
onto my computer, the crazy thing was that I did not have a copy of
Windows 2000. I also did not know about dual booting at the time.

Anyways I'd did a full install only and re-booted my computer.  But AOL
did not work or my Lemark printer.  But I could see that  I was onto a
good thing....

I was living with Gran at the time and was working so I had some money
saved up so I brought a new computer.

There was this web site called Linux Adventure and the guy on there was
making videos promoting Ubuntu.

So I ordered my free copy and did a dual boot in time I got the hardware
sorted out for Linux and did a complete move.

My Computer was state of the ark at that time and Ubuntu 6.06 had know
problem detecting all my hardware apart from my printer.  After some
reading I learned that HP Officially support Linux and so I brought a HP
branded printer and success.

AOL gave me the wrong information which lead me moving to NTL because I
wonted a modem that installed onto my hard drive so that I could use any
Operating System.  I kind of cheated on this one.  I used Window to
install my modem but only use it on Ubuntu.

My web cam did not work but I discovered Kopete - o.k it an KDE
application but like most KDE application it works on GNOME. Most
KDE/GNOME application have dual compatibility.  Anyway for my MSN/Yahoo
and AIM chat I use that and my cam works pretty well on it.

One I was confidence with Ubuntu and happy I'd fully deleted Windows and
I have never looked back

Thanks

Toby Whaymand