[Colchester] The Internet

Toby Whaymand toby.whaymand at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 13 21:17:37 BST 2008

I generally agree with what you are saying mate.  Despite the dangers of the internet it is the freedom it can give people that makes it so great.

Imagine if you was in a wheel chair and pretty much house bound most of the day until your career or family member arrives for these people I believe the internet is vital because it can take you around the world.  You can go to New York see all the tourist places like The Statue of Liberty. then a click later you could be seeing Dingo at at Australia Zoo.  Indeed you can travel the world with out leaving your home.

Like Television -which I also belive plays an important role. The internet is escapism which can be very important for some people....

When I heard on the radio about sex offenders registering there e-mail address I could not believe my ears - it's just a joke! That never going to work because it is dead easy to register an e-mail.

The only hope that I can see is if a sex offender registers his or hers IP address which will then have some kind of software control.  I think in that kind of case controlling the internet for that person on there own computer is justified.

There one thing I would like to see... Every body getting together and target an ISP like Virgin Media and try and get better support for Linux.  If everyone (being Linux users) across the UK acted as one then the ISP will adjust to include Linux support