[Colchester] The future of the computer and Open Source

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Sun Jun 22 21:25:18 BST 2008

Toby Whaymand wrote:
> After watching TV about computers I was wondering about the future what do you guys think the computer would be like in 20 years time or even ten years time?
>
> Thanks
>
> Toby

Hello Toby,

Computers have not changed much in the last 15 years. Big changes
between 1978 and 1993. What we have seen is embedded computers get
smarter. Computers in cars have made a big difference. Computers in
government, all the databases, spying etc. Internet obviously is a big
thing, but that was here before the PC.

I see computers actually settling down. Programming is still done as
text. I see a return to basics like the command prompt as people want to
really learn how to use computers rather than get taken in by all the glitz.

I do worry that you will soon need a licence to program a computer. That
they will be locked by law and only criminals will be able to release
the capabilities. They will make hacking a criminal offence.

A couple of directions there I think.

Regards,
Wayland.