[Colchester] Cobalt Qube 2

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Thu May 1 08:58:32 BST 2008

Hello,

A customer gave me a Cobalt Qube 2 server. This uses a MIPS cpu and came
with just 16MB RAM and 10GB Hard drive. I am in the process of wiping it
and putting the Cobalt OS back on. It has no keyboard mouse or monitor
sockets, purely Ethernet control. To re-load it you have to run a Live
CD from Sun on a PC. The problem is that the live CD only works with
certain LAN cards, which I am obtaining thanks to a member here. With
the PC and Qube networked the Qube can boot it's installation from the
PC which is running the live CD. Then you use SSH to run the install
program. Chris suggested I install Debian. I have upgraded the RAM to
24MB and I get part way through the installation but it crashes out my
putty session when it gets to the hardware scan. Ideally I need 32MB RAM
to make it work properly. It uses old fashioned sim sticks.

Unfortunately the Qube with it's origonal operating system (based on an
earlier Red Hat) is impractical as a web server on todays Internet. The
Cobalts were so popular that everybody seems to know how to hack them.
The reason I have this one is because it was hacked.

Regards,
Wayland.