[Colchester] Wayland E-mail

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Mon May 5 09:39:20 BST 2008

Hello Toby,

I really don't know much about BSD. I am glad it exists but I have no
specific reason to use it over Linux.
MS Dos (the roots of Windows) was better than CP/M because all the CP/M
computers were all deliberately incompatible. MS DOS and the IBM PC
brought in compatibility. That was what really launched it. The Home
Computer boom of 1983 fizzeled out due to incompatibility. Windows only
provides compatibility on the x86 style CPU. Linux re-compiles onto any
hardware (probably not a PIC) allowing complete freedom of hardware. I
believe BSD will run the same programs as Linux and can be recompiled
for any hardware. This means it would be an excellent alternative to
Linux if is immune to legal problems that Linux might face.

Wayland.