[Colchester] Which, why and where?

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Thu Aug 1 20:35:23 UTC 2013

On 01/08/2013 21:00, Ian Snow wrote:
> So everyone (all four of us)
>
> Lets be risky and make this a two thread list.
>
> Lets share which distro we use, if we want why and where we use it
>
> I'll start as I'm creating this tread
>
> Both my personal desktop and work desktop run Arch Linux using KDE as the
> desktop, thats the which and where covered
>
> Why because it doesn't come with fluff and its very up to date, that only the
> start of the why, not writing more due to fatigue
>
> We also use Centos at work as our xen guests
>
> Ian

I use Debian when ever I can because I like the apt-get command. I make
a tiny CD of 100MB and Debian pulls the rest off the Internet. This does
become a problem if I use an old CD because the repositories may have
gone. I follow a proceedure on the Internet called The Perfect Debian
Server which creates a LAMP server.

I have not used a desktop version for ages until I got a Raspberry PI
seems to be best with Debian.
I have been using eXperience 2003 server for about 5 years now. This is
a mashed up version of Windows 2003 server for the desktop. It's very
lean and runs well on my 32bit hardware.

However I now have an IBM Intellestation with a pair of dual core Xeon
3.2GHz CPUs and a Radeon 5850 graphics card. It has two Ultra320 hard
drives in RAID 0.  For me this is a super powerful machine. It's running
Windows 7 but I intend to use it for Linux testing in a VMware virtual
machine. I managed to find some software which can turn a Linux VM into
a hardware installable ISO.

I am building servers for customers using ClearOS 5.2 which is debian
based and has an easy to use web interface. I am writing a MySQL
database living on a quad core AMD Opteron server. At the moment I am
using an MS Access 2003 front end but trying hard to get the server to
hold the intelegent part so I can use any front end with ease.

Heck, with the power of a Raspberry PI and Libre Office that could be
the front end!