[Colchester] Hello!

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Tue Mar 5 20:13:16 UTC 2013

On 05/03/2013 20:02, Ian Snow wrote:

> Hi Wayland
>
> Lets hope this doesn't turn into a Sage support thread especially with
> a starting subject of Hello!
>
> Right Sage 50, oh the big pile of crap that it is.
>
> Switching to Samba won't necessarily fix your issues and I'll explain
> why, Sage 50 uses DTA files for its "database" which each user's
> computer will read, lock to make changes, write the changes and then
> save and the bigger the DTA fiiles get the longer that takes
>
> Compare that to say a mysql server using myisam based tables, its only
> the server that locks the files not each client
>
> One thing that will help with Sage 50 performance is to make sure that
> the AV product isn't scanning the directory where the Sage data is
> stored, that definitely makes it slow
>
> Ian

Hello Is this Sage 50 Support?

Hello Ian,

Sage 50 does get affected by the SAMBA conf settings, I tuned a server a
few years ago for my accountant. I wondered if there was more knowledge
on this subject these days. Actinic has similar problems but it uses the
Jet Engine behind the MS Access database so it's better but still not
client server.

The problem with accounts programs is that the requirements change every
year weaning you can't just write an accounts package and be done with
it like you can say a Text editor. This probably means there aren't any
good Open Source accounts packages, or are there? A good one would work
with an SQL server and have an AJAX front end I reckon but I am no
expert on this. I did all mine in MS Access because it's easy and fairly
powerful.

Thanks for the tip on switching off anti-virus for the Sage files.

Regards,
Wayland.

> > On 04/03/2013 20:56, Ian Snow wrote:
>
> > > Evening Russ
>

> > > I too am lucky enough to get to play with Linux at work, as I
> admin Linux
>
> > > database, web, dns and mail servers as well as hack php and c++
> admittedly
>
> > > currently on Windows but we're moving to Qt so I can code on linux
> and only
>
> > > have to compile and test on Windows
>

> > > I've been using Linux for around a decade now, and at work on the
> desktop for
>
> > > the last year with Windows in a VirtualBox VM, due to this I
> haven't had to
>
> > > play with Wine in a commercial setting, and last used it at home
> to play Wow
>
> > > years ago before it irritated me too much to continue playing
>

> > > I happen to be a Sage 50 developer and I suspect your mileage will
> vary, for
>
> > > one thing Sage UK will likely not support running Sage on top of Wine.
>
> > > It also has a Sage SData Service these days and I'm not sure how
> Wine handles
>
> > > windows services
>

> > > Ian
>

> > Hello Russ and Ian,
>

> > I would be interested in how to get Sage to run 20 users reliably. What
>
> > server tuning would be required.
>
> > It should be possible to fine tune SAMBA so it works better for Sage
>
> > than Windows 2003.
>

> > Regards,
>
> > Wayland.

> technical