[Colchester] Bitcoin mining in Linux

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Wed May 1 10:15:41 UTC 2013

Dear Colchester LUG,

I am getting into Bitcoin mining using an ATI Radeon 5450 card and
Windows 7 with GuiMiner.
I want to move this to my Linux web server running Debian Squeeze which
is always on. I will be getting a more powerful card but the principle
and drivers should be the same.

I will post here how I get on but if anyone has done this then please
give some tips. We could meet locally to help each other build these.

Potentially a £120 graphics card (ATI 5850) could be pulling in £60
worth of Bitcoin every month. £60 is not very exciting but the process
is scalable, what would you say to £480/month from 4x ATI 7970 crammed
into one PC?

Regards,
Wayland.

--