[Colchester] Bitcoin mining in Linux

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Wed May 1 18:17:11 UTC 2013

On 01/05/2013 11:14, Wayland Sothcott wrote:
> Dear Colchester LUG,
>
> I am getting into Bitcoin mining using an ATI Radeon 5450 card and
> Windows 7 with GuiMiner.
> I want to move this to my Linux web server running Debian Squeeze
> which is always on. I will be getting a more powerful card but the
> principle and drivers should be the same.
>
> I will post here how I get on but if anyone has done this then please
> give some tips. We could meet locally to help each other build these.
>
> Potentially a £120 graphics card (ATI 5850) could be pulling in £60
> worth of Bitcoin every month. £60 is not very exciting but the process
> is scalable, what would you say to £480/month from 4x ATI 7970 crammed
> into one PC?
>
> Regards,
> Wayland.

OK well I have made a bit of progress. Debian Squeeze puts in the
default open source driver for the ATI Radeon card but I can't use the
ATI Catalyst drivers from AMD which contain the required OpenCL
programming libruaries with Squeeze. It's available in Wheezy but does
not backport to Squeeze even though the documentation says it does.

Next update when Wheezy is installed.

--

Mobile: 07925 431381
Office: 01787 388165