[Colchester] Bitcoin mining in Linux

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Thu May 2 17:09:36 UTC 2013

On 01/05/2013 19:16, Wayland Sothcott wrote:
> On 01/05/2013 11:14, Wayland Sothcott wrote:
>> Dear Colchester LUG,
>>
>> I am getting into Bitcoin mining using an ATI Radeon 5450 card and
>> Windows 7 with GuiMiner.
>> I want to move this to my Linux web server running Debian Squeeze
>> which is always on. I will be getting a more powerful card but the
>> principle and drivers should be the same.
>>
>> I will post here how I get on but if anyone has done this then please
>> give some tips. We could meet locally to help each other build these.
>>
>> Potentially a £120 graphics card (ATI 5850) could be pulling in £60
>> worth of Bitcoin every month. £60 is not very exciting but the
>> process is scalable, what would you say to £480/month from 4x ATI
>> 7970 crammed into one PC?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Wayland.
>>
> OK well I have made a bit of progress. Debian Squeeze puts in the
> default open source driver for the ATI Radeon card but I can't use the
> ATI Catalyst drivers from AMD which contain the required OpenCL
> programming libruaries with Squeeze. It's available in Wheezy but does
> not backport to Squeeze even though the documentation says it does.
>
> Next update when Wheezy is installed.

I have been trying to get hold of linuxcoin-v0.2.1b.iso from
www.linuxcoin.co.uk but the site has gone.

I have a Debian Wheezy setup using an ATI 5450 running the latest AMD
stuff for Linux but I can't get cgminer to find my card even though the
computer detects it and has OpenCL.

--

Mobile: 07925 431381
Office: 01787 388165