[Cumbria] Promoting the LUG

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 17 16:49:01 2002

> I did ask my local W.H.Smith's if I could leave some flyers near the
> Linux mags, but they wouldn't cooperate  --  and they might have
> benefited in selling more Linux mags.

Damn, I'd been thinking about doing that...

> What is 'PVR (Tivo-like)'. I use my main PC (Athlon / SuSE v8.0) to
> play  CDs, listen to FM radio and TV while working.

PVR stands for Personal Video Recorder (I think). Tivo is a brand name. Sky
offer Sky+ which provides similar functionality. Basically, the PVR sits
between the television and the signal (be it Sky, cable, Freeview etc.). the
incoming signal is encoded and saved, then decoded and passed onwards. This
allows you to pause and rewind live tv. You can also record programs for
later viewing etc. Have a look here: http://www.mythtv.org/

Could make a nice project for the LUG...

I use linux exclusively at home, but have to use MS at work. Linux is
currently satisfying all my computing needs at home, even games. My only
hardware that doesn't work is my firewire scanner, but that's simply a case
of my being to lazy to figure out what it needs... Oh, and I've got a USB
radio tuner, but AFAIK it's not currently supported by linux so I've not
even tried... Office, mail, internet, entertainment and music all covered by
my linux desktop.
--
Dave Murphy