[Cumbria] For discussion - Is Linux really ready for the Enterprise environment?

cumbria@mailman.lug.org.uk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Dec 18 13:34:00 2002

You should try urpmi (mandrake).  It does to rpms what apt-get does for
debs (mortly).  For example, i wanted dvd functionality on my mandrake box,
so i added 2 sources to the package manager (contrib and plf - penguin
liberation front) and a simple 'urpmi mplayer' downloaded and installed
mplayer from the plf repository, and all the required libraries etc from
contrib and the cd's (my only gripe was that it couldnt auto resume the
download after freeserve cut me off, but it didnt download packages it
already had in its cache, so it wasnt much of a problem) and now i can play
dvd's, divx's vcd etc...  Theres loads of extra software that cant be
included in mandrake for legal reasons that is in the plf repository, and a
lot of useful stuff in contrib.

You should try kde some more, there are loads of new styles to change the
look/feel.  im the oposite, i think gnome just doesnt 'feel' right, well,
each man to his own :o)

Cya

Adam

"Schwuk" <schwuk@schwuk.com>@mailman.lug.org.uk on 18/12/2002 12:06:04