[Cumbria] Christmas: a time of upheaval...

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Dec 28 00:53:01 2002

Chris Plant wrote:
> I run a similar system, with a Debian Linux gateway to a cheapo dabs
> value ADSL router in half-bridge mode

At least you can get ADSL. Grrrr...

> I then have my desktop (Twin Athlon MP
> 1900+, 512RAM, 10k 36.7gig Disk, GeForce 4 Ti 4400) dual booting Win2k
> and Redhat Linux,=20

Nice machine...

My 'workstation' is an Athlon 800 with 512MB and a GeForce Ti4600 128Mb.=20
To be honest the dual boot is only really there for my wife's (none) use=20
and my daughters games. I'm quite happy with UT2003 running under linux=20
and have no real cause to boot into Windows these days...

> I just ordered a LinkSys access point for my laptop, and my dad's when
> he gets round to buying a wifi card.

I've got the D-Link 22Mbps Wireless Access Point and PCMCIA card - it=20
was < =A3150 inc VAT from Microwarehouse, and I've spoken to some people=20
who have got this card working under linux so my hopes are high...

> Imho, Redhat is the best of the consumer distributions, and as for the
> problems with updates, just whack apt-get on there and then it updates
> itself. :)

I'm looking into that as well...
--=20
Schwuk