[Cumbria] Mandrake 9.1

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 11 10:45:01 2003

Well, I've been using Mandrake 9.1 in anger for a couple of days now, so I
thought I'd post my opinions...

Install: Very straightforward. Detected and configured all relevant
hardware without any prompting from me (including USB MS Explorer mouse,
nVidia Ti4600 graphics card and correct make and model of monitor). Very
impressive. The only problem I've found is that although it found my
soundcard (SB Live Value), it tried to use the Audigy driver. This is
switchable in Mandrakes configuration tools, and doesn't require a reboot
- in fact, I haven't rebooted since I installed... I was also particularly
impressed that NTFS support is included, and both my NTFS and FAT32
partitions are mounted at boot - I know LUG members have had problems with
this in the past (Yes, I mean you Mat).

Related to the hardware, I downloaded and installed the latest nVidia
drivers - wow they are easy now. I've never really used the RPM's as I had
problems with them, prefering to use the source tarballs but the new
'all-in-one' drivers area dream to install. once completed, it's a one
line change to your XF86Config. I couldn't find a way to change the driver
by hand in the graphical tools (RHL 8.0 let me), but I maybe didn't look
hard enough...

Look'n'feel: Although Mandrake have gone down the 'unified desktop' route
ala Bluecurve with Mandrake Galaxy, I not overly keen on the theme. I'm
using Gnome 2.2 as my desktop (I still can't 'get' KDE...), and I've
changed quite a few things (layout, fonts, theme etc) to make it
'comfortable'. I never felt the need to change the RHL Gnome settings
apart from layout. DrakFont will also pull fonts from your Windows
installation (if you have one).

Software: Mandrake is one of the 'everything-to-everyone' distro's that I
have commented on in the past - it installs far too many packages, and
makes no attempt to make choices easier for users. If you didn't know
which programs to use, there are too many choices for beginners... The
Mandrake configuration tools are very impressive, but also a bit
'dumbed-down'. I need more control (yes, I know I'm not a 'normal' user).

Performance: Performance is very good. I've installed Quake III Arena and
Neverwinter Nights (I never thought I'd see the day when it was as easy to
install a gmae on Linux as it is on Windows), and both outperform their
Windows cousins. NWN in particular was impressive, running windowed whilst
still browsing the web/IMing etc...

Oddities: Both Nautilus and Konquerer had problems browsing an SMB share.
Mozilla (1.3 is included) works fine, but Mozilla Mail crashes. I'm sure
I'll find others...

Overall: Very impressive distro. Once I got over the "it's not Red Hat"
thing, I've grown to like it more and more. It's very much a desktop
distro though, so I'm not planning on unleashing it on my servers... I'm
planning on trying RHL 9 as soon as I get my disks (ahem, Mat...), and
I'll post my opinions on that, and my final choice as and when... I will
be recommending this distro to people though (esp. newbies).
--
Schwuk