[Cumbria] Daft HTML Question

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 15 22:30:01 2003

Adam Pigg wrote:
> On a side note (to people in general), im learning html php at the
> moment and using quanta for my coding.  the pages use tables heavily
> (and nested) and have graphics in the corners to make rounded edges,
> this requires setting the cell height/width and the pages look superb in
> konqueror, but both mozilla and i.e. seem to ignore most of the cell
> heights and make the cells way to large which screws up the page.
> Suggestions welcome while i trawl the web for answers.

OK - I'll bite, I've done plenty of stuff with PHP.

Before trying to answer your problem, I'll recommend that you look into
developing pages using the standards (which aren't - I know) - XHTML/CSS
etc. Using (nested) tables for layouts is easy and powerful - and can
produce some very good results - but you'll end up wasting alot of
effort 'tweaking' your sites to look nearly the same across all
browsers. Unless you have a real need to develop for older browsers, go
with standards and make your pages degrade well for older/different
(e.g. handheld or text-based) browsers so that the content remains
available...

As a starting point for your problem, I'd look into the additional
options for tables like cellpadding/cellspacing, then look for stray
whitespace, differing font sizes (that you're not controlling) etc. If
you can't narrow it down, I'll be happy to take a look at the code for
you - an extra pair of eyes always helps (ask Mat re:Perl scripts).
--
Schwuk