[cumbria_lug] List Archives

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 22 13:40:01 2003

All,

There has been some dicussion about this on the lugmaster list, and I
thought it best to let you all know:

The archives for this mailing list are publicly accessible. This includes
being indexed by search engines. Part of the information that is archived,
and hence accessible, is the sender's (_not_ the recipients though) email
address.

A few lug members (from other lug's, not Cumbria) have complained about
this, but short of removing public access to the archives nothing can be
done about it, and remove public archive access is against the nature of a
public mailing list, IMO. I know that I have found more than a few answers
thanks to mailing list archives and google, and would hope that other
people will benefit from ours.

So, in short, unless the majority of list subscribers wish for the
archives it be 'closed', they will remain open. If you do not want your
email address to be 'public', use another one (hushmail, yahoo, hotmail
etc) or do not post to the list. You do not have to be subscribed to the
list to post to it - you can post from a 'public' address and still
receive the list on your 'private' address.

And yes, I think that it is daft that this has to pointed out in the first
place. It's like having "Caution: Contents are hot" on the side of coffee
cups...

Cheers,
--
Schwuk