[cumbria_lug] Use for an old 486 laptop?

Michael Saunders mike at aster.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Dec 31 11:53:15 GMT 2003

Lo Ian,

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Ian Linwood wrote:

> Internal router (needs 2 PCMCIA, or PCMCIA + onboard NIC) If meets
> above - firewall...

Cheers for the suggestions, but as mentioned in the original post I've
already got a dedicated 4-port router; it wouldn't be much cop there!

> Sack debian - get a newer Slackware on it. I'll post a CD to you if
> you wish.

Got various Slackware releases here and I'm running 9.1 on both of my
main boxes. It's wonderful. I even gave it 8/10 in the mag :-)

Current Slackware releases require 16M for the installer to function.
I could try enabling swap very early on in the process, but overall
performance would suffer with kernel 2.4 and the never-ending bloat of
glibc... Same with OpenBSD and Solaris -- I've tried them both on
various bits of kit, but Linux is always far faster on very low-end
x86. OpenBSD would thrash like crazy before even hitting login:!

Might try out MenuetOS (menuetos.org), a GUI OS written in pure x86
asm, or possibly FreeDOS and some sort of GEM. Yummy!

Happy New Year all!

Michael Saunders
www.aster.fsnet.co.uk