Re[2]: [Cumbria] Linux in the workplace

Roger Cope cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Feb 8 00:18:01 2003

Adam revealed:

It wasnt this list is was the decnet-user list.  Head over to =
sourceforge
and see if anything ive said is a 'breach'.  My managers didnt think so =
and
soon sorted it out

As it turned out, when it was sorted out, it wasnt the content of the =
post
that was a problem, it was the fact that 'hackers' could contact me on =
the
list and i could become corrupt and give away information on the network

How lame is tha?

Adam

:o)

----------------------------

When I worked in the Health Service, it was a disciplinary offence to =
answer
an external phone call with a phrase that identified where you worked. =
The
rule was that you said 'hello' and if the caller failed to identify
themselves sensibly you closed the call (politely, of course).

BNFL staff don't take security seriously because they swamp the West =
Cumbria
population. If they were a persecuted minority things would change very
quickly...

You should _never_ identify yourself as a BNFL employee unintentionally.
That is why it is a disciplinary offence to wear your pass off-site and =
why
all company cars are supposed to be locally registered.

The fact that breaches of both the above rules are commonplace shows you =
how
seriously management take security and, sadly, that reflects in the way =
your
own management dealt with your breach - which was, according to the
published security guides, a serious one.

Roger