[Cumbria] CUMBRIA LUG -- Red Hat cp SuSE

Chris Plant cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 4 11:10:00 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 08:01, Ken Hough wrote:
> Dave,
>=20
> Installation on an AMD K6II 500 MHz PC went OK, reckognising the PCI=20
> NE2000 type ethernet card
> and SoundBlaster 5.1 card. I opted to use LILO rather than Grub as I'm=20
> familier with the former.
>=20
> Red Hat doesn't give much choice as to alternative file formats. eg does=20
> not offer Reiserfs, only ext3.
RedHat never have put reiserfs in their distros, but they do sponsor
ext3 heavily, and can probably support it better.
>=20
> After installation, had a hell of a job finding how to install more=20
> software from the Red Hat Cds.
> Eventually discovered how to by looking in /usr/share/doc/redhat*. ie=20
> should use command
> 'redhat-config-packages', but there doesn't seem to be any icon or menu=20
> item to lead to this.
> Have now created an icon for this on the root desktop.
Well, there is, its in one of the menus, and redhat 8 is setup so you
never have to login as root to do this kind of thing.  You whack the
install disk in, and then it automatically opens the packager.  I never
use that method, I usually just find the package myself, or download it
from the net, its just as fast as finding the CD for me.
>=20
> SuSE has entries for the YAST management programme(s) from the desktop=20
> menu (obviously only available to root).

YAST is quite possibly the worst program I've ever had the misfortune to
touch.  Its about time most distros disabled the root shell by default
and forced people to use sudo.
>=20
> 'redhat-config-packages' can be crashed. I've done this a few times now.
>=20
RedHat *.0 releases always have a few bugs, because they change major
things in them, alot of problems will be fixed by 8.1.  Saying that,
I've had no problems, and I've ripped out alot of the stuff in there to
start off with.
> Doesn't seem to be a 'search' option in 'redhat-config-packages' as in=20
> YAST under Suse Linux -- a serious omission???
> Overall, I find YAST easier and more functional than the Red Hat equiv.=20
> Also, it doesn't seem to crash!
I hardly ever use the tools with redhat, their /etc/sysconfig/ files are
very easy to edit and easy to decipher.
>=20
> Don't seem to be any lightweight text editors on the Red Hat CDs such as=20
> Pico, Joe or Jed.
Pico will be there, its usually part of pine iirc.
>=20
> Kdevelop (rated as probably the best Prog dev IDE) is not included on=20
> the CDs, but is with Mandrake download version and with SuSE.
Never even looked, I hardly ever venture outside vim,gcc,gdb and
indent.  Tried anjuta once, its nice but needs a little bit more work on
importing existing projects.
>=20
> I'm not keen on the Red Hat default KDE setup and there seems to be the=20
> odd wobbly / bug. Even so, I still
> prefare KDE to Gnome.
RedHat have played with the KDE a bit too much for people's liking,
they've tried to pull it into their bluecurve theming.  Doesn't bother
me too much.
>=20
> Will carry on playing to become familier and maybe get a fairer compariso=
n.
>=20
> Meanwhile am still using my 'work horse' for most stuff as now -- Athlon=20
> XP1600+ / SuSE v8.0 with a 19 inch high res monitor at approx 1200 x 1000
> -- now that's how to use KDE!
Hehe, i have a nice monitor too, its  Sony G220 17inch, cost me =C2=A3275
quid, I could have a shitty TFT from somewhere in town for that, but I'd
rather have a nice CRT than a shitty TFT.