[Cumbria] re the RH SuSe "discussion"

Roger Cope cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 00:26:01 2003

Dave Latimer said <help... Too much geek noise..!>,

Your point is very valid, but after several years lurking I think that =
the
more than occasional flare ups that happen in the Linux community drive =
the
thing forwards more than they hinder (having said that, I think that =
Richard
Stallman is more than overdue to be told to SHUT UP!).

Under the hood, Linux is geeky. That's a good thing and needs to =
continue.
Without it, KDE and Gnome will die, innovation will die and no hope =
projects
like Mono (an independent version of .Net) will never be allowed to take
valuable time and man hours.

Like many Linux projects, Linux itself has two streams: the stable, =
sensible
productive one and the unstable, geeks only noisefest that many of us
love...!

That said, it's important that people such as yourself can be helped to =
do
productive work on Linux without being battered this way and that by the
hype and hoopla. RedHat have progressed someway along this path with =
their
version 8 distro (for good or ill) and Apple are also doing good things =
with
their platform. Lindows and a couple of other 'microsofty' distros are
ploughing their own furrow for the same ends.

These are the places where someone looking for a simple, productive =
Linux
(BSD... I know!) should be looking. They work, there's minimal problems =
and
frequently much better support than Microsoft will ever offer.

Roger