[Cumbria] CUMBRIA LUG -- Red Hat cp SuSE

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 13:42:02 2003

> Ken Hough wrote:
>
>> With regard to 'vi', this does seem a bit OTT for modifying a line or
>> two in a small script.
>

> On the contrary, it is always worth being familiar with vi as you are
> pretty much assured of it being installed on every box you will come
> across. And after the mild learning curve (for 'mild' read  'forget
> what you know about every other editor') editing a line in a script is
> just as straight forward as every other editor. The current LUG
> webpage was created completely in vim, and is updated remotely with
> the same. Far easier than "Edit - Save - FTP - Test - Repeat..."

Good point! vi is always there. I've just got used to small snappy
editors. If I am doing any serious text editing, then I go to something
like Kate.

>> I don't accept that new major distros should be allowed to have
>> (serious?) bugs. Of course this will happen, but SuSE v8.0 is fairly
>> major and seems to be pretty good -- I haven't managed to rubbish
>> anything on it yet! Any major distro today must be pretty good on
>> release or it's going to get hammered.
>

> Every .0 release of the major distributions always incorporate a few
> major changes, and due to the nature of the distributions there will
> always be bugs. And most of the hammering for RH 8.0 was about the
> desktop so the rest of distro can't that bad then...
>
>> Why should Red Hat 'b*****' about with KDE and Gnome when the rest of
>> the Linux fraternity concentrates on getting the distro right?
>> Probably for selfish (commercial) reasons.  I believe that if this
>> attitude proliferates we'll end up with a lot of different versions
>> of Linux (etc) as happened to Unix.
>

> They are doing it to present a 'unified' desktop to the users. Users
> (especially new ones) do not really care what window manager or
> desktop environment they are using and would simply prefer things to
> work. They also don't expect that if they are logged into a KDE
> session and fire up a Gnome based application that they will display
> differently.

Some prefer KDE, others prefer Gnome and on lightweight hardware
something like icewm is more appropriate. But that's one of the nice
things about Linux --- Choice!
I am finding that the more that I try Gnome, the more I like KDE3.

> 'the rest of the Linux fraternity concentrates on getting the distro
> right'? That doesn't sound much like the Linux fraternity - not enough
> in-fighting... :)
>
> Red Hat were never going to make everyone happy with their strategy,
> but look at this way - they are trying something different, whilst
> other distros carry on with their 'favorite' desktop environment and
> seemingly bundle others as an afterthought. At the end of the day, as
> KDE and Gnome are open source, they can do what they like with them.
> If people don't like it they can use something else.
>
> Whilst we are 'distro-bashing', aren't SuSE tools like YAST
> proprietry? Why are they so special?

Yes! The installation tools are proprietry (that's what we pay for), but
Linux, or rather GNU/Linux is not and I hope will remain so.

> Ah, flame wars. Always keep you warm on a cold winters night... ;)

Nothing like it!  But, a meeting of differing opinions can be very
constructive / educational  -- as long as we don't take it too seriously.
I've always been a bit 'up front' in the way I explore things (probably
something to do with my Scouse background) --- never would have made it
as a diplomat!

Ken Hough