[Cumbria] Next meeting...

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 13:42:06 2003

Mat Brunt wrote:

> After sitting idly by and trying to keep up with the volume of e-mail
> in my inbox I thought it time to dip my toe in the water...
>
> An additional location would be good, I've yet to make it to one of
> the meetings as someone always seems to choose them for when I'm on
> call and can't escape any great distance :)
>
> Not to mention the fact that I have no idea where Gleaston is, and
> with my sense of direction anything further than 300 yards from my
> front door requires a GPS system! :p
>
> For those who don't know me (most I think) I'm a complete beginner
> (your gran probably knows more than me) to the linux side of things.
> Just put Redhat 8.0 on my box, and am still trying to work out how the
> hell you get it to do what you want, and why my sound card doesn't
> seem to play...
>
> And just to recall one of the earliest conversation's I read about
> where to advertise the LUG - what about flyers at the tills in
> mainline bookshops. Most of the techies I know always seem to end up
> there in search for something new to read.

Hello, Mat,

Gleaston is a few miles from Ulverston and is a nice place if you can
find it.  I could give you directions, but Mike Brereton at Gleaston
Water Mill would do better. The Mill is in the phone book.

Someone did mention possibly extra / informal meetings at other venues
such as pubs. That sounds OK by me but we might get a reputation as a
group of Linux Lounge Lizards. As a user of SuSE that might be a problem
(He! He!)
Perhaps somewhere around Keswick could be good.  Anyone know a good pub
there?

The are a few newbies in the group (and I've only got one eye open) so
you won't feel alone.

Keep in touch.

Ken Hough