[Cumbria] My Word!!!

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 7 16:23:01 2003

>>Mike / Ken - thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm sure once I can
>>discipline myself to sit down for more than 20 mins and have a decent
>>look at Linux I'll start catching up. At the moment it's just too easy
>>to use windows as I can boot up, get the job done then knock it off -
>>less hard work involved! :p
>>

>Best to just do things in Linux in gradual increments rather than force
>yourself and end up getting frustrated. When I first installed Linux back
>with Red Hat 5.1, it started as a novelty and useful programming
>environment, then I got various Net programs set up, and after about 6
>months I was fully converted. And that was back in the days of the hideous
>Netscape 4, no GNOME or KDE, and a manual kernel recompile just to get the
>sound card working! :)

Back in those days I would agree with you, but not now. Recent distros
are so easy to install and they will correctly configure most hardware.
eg. SuSE v8.0 (Yes! I know, SuSE again) corectly set up my SCSI, sound
and TV/Radio cards without much assistance. I can print from either my
old HP Laserjet 4l or from my Epson Stylus Photo EX (A3) printers.

It's only since I gave up MS Windows that I've really got used to Open
Office, etc.  --- and it's pretty damn good too! Admittedly, MS Office
is good, but that can't be said for MS Winows 95/98, etc.

If anyone wants to hear of experiences /suggestions of / for dual
booting, let me know. I currently have 4 PCs which can dual boot. Dual
booting works well and without problems, but there are good and less
good ways to go about it.

How about us having an evening specifically about installing for the
desktop  -- I mean with a proper programme rather than us breaking into
huddles which don't communicate with each other.

In the long term, you sys admin guys might benefit. After all if Mr
Average and Mr Chief Exec. get to appreciate Linux, there'll be more
chance to get Linux in on a large system and on the corresponding desktops.

Ken Hough