[Cumbria] CUMBRIA LUG

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 9 16:02:00 2003

Ken Hough said:
> How to configure / change the size of the bar at the bottom of the
> screen in Gnome. I'm running with a 800 x 600 monitor on this PC and
> the  bar is about 3/4 inch high!

Right-click on blank bit of the panel (that what Gnome refers to them as)
and choose 'Properties'. The default is 48 pixels (medium). I have mine set
on X Small (24) and Autohide as I've also got a menu panel at the top of the
screen. When you right click on the panel and choose Add Panel, you can add
different types. My only complaint is that you can't change panel types once
you have added them... You have to delete and re-add.

> I've heard of Nautilus. What is it and how do I find it? According to
> the installer, it's installed.

It's there - access your home folder from the Gnome menu (the Red Hat) or
the <username> 's Home icon on the desktop. It's a file manager, and does
exactly that. You can do some clever customising with regards to scripts and
file associations.

> I'm trying hard, but the more I play with Gnome, the more I appreciate
> KDE3. The KDE Control centre is, I believe,  WAY AHEAD of the Gnome
> version.

Funny - the more I tried KDE, the more I liked Gnome... KDE's control center
is good, but I don't use either much...

> Also, WRT Red Hat -- I've managed to get it in a knot again --- had to
> reboot. This was after using the package installation app.

It 'hiccups' out regularly on my laptop - mainly during RPM operations. My
desktop has been rock solid tho', so I'm not sure what's causing it. Before
I rebuilt it, executing an rpm command from a console would simply hang -
the reast of the machine was fine but rpm wouldn't respond, even if I killed
and restarted it. up2date is currently playing very badly, but I think that
may be linked to network problems here at work...
--
Schwuk