[Cumbria] CUMBRIA LUG

Michael Saunders cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 9 16:03:00 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Ken Hough wrote:

> I've been playing with Gnome and KDE running under Red Hat Linux v8.0
> --- all on same PC.

Lo Ken. Yeah, the RH "Bluecurve" GNOME desktop is very sweet, esp. with
the smooth anti-aliased fonts.

> How to configure / change the size of the bar at the bottom of the
> screen in Gnome. I'm running with a 800 x 600 monitor on this PC and the
> bar is about 3/4 inch high!

Right-click on a space somewhere in that panel, click "Properties", and
you'll get a dialog which lets you choose from several pre-set sizes.

> In KDE it's possible to select one of 5 sizes, one of which is a custom
> option. Also the KDE bar can be hiden off to the right of the screen,
> thus leaving the entire area for apps -- particularly usefull on
> relatively low-res screens .

GNOME's panel has this too -- in the same Properties box, choose the "Show
hide buttons" option and you can then fold it out the way.

> I've heard of Nautilus. What is it and how do I find it? According to
> the installer, it's installed.

Nautilus is the featureful filemanager -- click on one of the desktop
icons like "Home" and you'll get a Naut window up. The program has been
the source of some debate on this list recently -- it's a robust app but
still needs work on the performance IMHO.

> I'm trying hard, but the more I play with Gnome, the more I appreciate
> KDE3. The KDE Control centre is, I believe, WAY AHEAD of the Gnome
> version.

KDE is more tightly-integrated but GNOME has made tremendous progress
since the 1.x releases -- looking forward to 2.2.

Hope that helps.

--
Michael Saunders
www.aster.fsnet.co.uk