[Cumbria] My Personal Agenda

Michael Saunders cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 10 13:10:00 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Schwuk wrote:

> > my ultra-l33t P100 Toshiba beast! :)
>
> *That* explains your use of PINE. Apart from the fact that it's a damn
> fine mail client that is...

Heh, yeah, it works fantastically on older hardware like that but I've
also been running it on my main PIII box for a couple of years now. It's a
truly brilliant little prog.

(A while back there was a letter in a mag from someone who wanted to
select/sort/delete some messages by date in Outlook 2000. The answer was
to use Excel and create a function and sort and export and... I shuddered
when I managed to do the exact same thing with 15-20 KEYPRESSES in Pine.
Enterprise software? Outlook? Heh!)

Also, before all the jokes come in about a geek and tech writer having
such a low-spec laptop, I'll just say that I thought long and hard about
getting an iBook or Thinkpad, but in the end just needed something to do a
bit of writing, play MP3s and run Pine / Irssi / Dillo and Links etc.
Toshiba 400CS, mint condition for a ton, was ideal.

Anyway, it awaits your mockery at the next meeting! :)

--
Michael Saunders
www.aster.fsnet.co.uk