[Cumbria] My Personal Agenda

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 11 10:29:13 2003

Michael Saunders wrote:

>Also, before all the jokes come in about a geek and tech writer having
>such a low-spec laptop, I'll just say that I thought long and hard about
>getting an iBook or Thinkpad, but in the end just needed something to do a
>bit of writing, play MP3s and run Pine / Irssi / Dillo and Links etc.
>Toshiba 400CS, mint condition for a ton, was ideal.
>
>Anyway, it awaits your mockery at the next meeting! :)

I can  (almost) match you with my Toshiba 480CDT. Still, it dual boots
Mandrake v9.0 and Win98, has an ethernet card and
modem. Can't match you on price though.

Perhaps you couls help me on one point. This PC started with 32MB of RAM
which clearly wasn't enough to run Linux properly. We
(the supplier and I) tried to ugrade to 128 MB, but the PC wouldn't
recognise any of a number of chips tried. The book states 128 MB is OK.
In the end we found a 64 MB chip that was OK.  Any clues?

Ken