[Cumbria] Definition of a 'User Group'

Chris Plant cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 12 19:51:01 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 17:28, Schwuk wrote:
> To my mind, this group is for *Linux* *Users*.
>
> Linux. I feel we should be representative of all flavours of linux, no
> matter what form they take. I also feel we should cover Open Source
> Software in general as this makes up the majority of linux
> distributions, and many linux users also use OSS on other platforms.
Does helping open source projects not cover using monkeyircd?

> Users. anybody who uses Linux is a user, no matter how they are using
> it. No members should be excluded from any function of this group unless
> they do not wish to partake. True, the current skillset of the group is
> not completely balanced, but then neither are the voices (which
> _everyone_ has a right to use). In time, when the group grows (if it
> does not rip itself apart first), then different skillsets can be
> catered for better. Several discussions around 'splits' in the group
> have been raised. I do not feel this would be of the benefit to group as
> a whole or the members involved.
I think we should split, I'm fed up of looking through 58 messages of
crap to find 2 worthwhile posts.

> Regarding the discussion around meetings. The meetings (currently the
> only meetings of the group) held at Gleaston Water Mill are kindly
> hosted by Mike Brereton. As the host, his is the final say of the format
> of those meetings. Attendance of the meetings is obviously voluntary, so
> if you do not feel the meeting will be of benefit to yourself, it is
> your choice as to whether you attend. As the Gleaston meetings are the
> only current regular meetings of the LUG, they are also currently the
> only method of meeting other members face-to-face. If people wish to
> have a different format for meetings, then they can arrange other
> meetings at different venues (unless Mike allows the use of the Water
> Mill) accordingly. Simply publish the details to the mailing list, and
> members can then choose to attend.
I'll be organising informal drinks and get togethers for anyone thats
interested.

> Mailing List: The mailing list is administered by myself. It was
> provided as a forum for communication between meetings to keep the
> 'flow' going in the group. Anything that is relevant to the group can be
> posted to it. As shown by the growth in volume on the list it is proving
> a popular means of communication. I do not believe in censorship, and
> this will be reflected in my administration of the list. People can join
> or leave as they see fit, but it is currently the primary form of
> communication for the group. Please do not post anything to the list
> that you would not be willing to say in person.
I'd like another mailing list, which I suppose Paul will be providing.
Anything I've said on the list, I'm perfectly willing to say in person,
unless circumstances beyond my control prevent me from doing so (This
only applies to a limited number of posts).

> My apologies for the slightly formal tone of this post, but I am getting
> sick of the current infighting, and would like to see the group get back
> on track.
I am too, but I'm also getting sick of this reluctance to discuss
anything beyond the desktop.

--
Chris Plant <chris@monkeyircd.org>