[Cumbria] Re: Sadness of IT

Roger Cope cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 13 22:17:00 2003

Ken sighed:

>Have just done  re-install of Red Hat. Seems more sensible this time.
>Haven't a clue what went wrong last time.
>Got a few icons on the screen and 'nautilus' runs. Networking seems OK, =

>so will have a play.

>A bit of a sad way to spend a Sunday morning, but I'm stuck with my dog
>who can't decide whether she's in season or not.

>Ken

That's nothing... I just spent Saturday, Sunday and half of Monday
rebuilding my two Redhat 7.3 servers into one RedHat 8.0 server.

For the first time in my life I have switched off a computer without
replacing it..!

Any probs? Well, RH8 broke my carefully crafted LifeWithQmail based =
qmail
installation script but when I went back to LWq proper it was up to date =
and
I cannot be sure that the typos in my script were not self inflicted.

Apache 2 is up and running - the config file differs slightly but =
currently
I am not making use of much of it and so the changes are of no great
interest.

MySQL is currently lying unconfigured (I'll get round to it). RH8 fails =
install the PHP-MySql RPM when you choose to add the MySQL package but =
it's
on disk 3 and no great problem to do yourself.

<an aside> why on earth do RH persist with a mandatory installation of
PostGreSQL if you select a database server...?

I played around with CUPS *again* and *again* failed totally to make it =
work
client/server. I note that the RH default CUPS config is very tied down =
(it
defaults to only allowing connections from localhost) - has anyone got a
Windows client-Samba-printing via CUPS configuration working with RH?

I am told that Mandrake uses CUPS by default. Needless to say, switching
back to LPRng on RH8 coughed everything back into life...

<an aside> Impressively, RH8 found my parallel port connected printer,
identified it correctly and set up a default print queue all by itself.
Slightly less impressively it seems not to do the whole job, since the
startup complains that there is 'no printer defined' until you do it
yourself.

And then, after 2.5 days solid graft - just as I was going to sit back =
and
enjoy my labours,  BT conspired to screw up a 155MBps upgrade for my ISP =
and
plunged my ADSL connection into darkness for three hours.

Not chuffed!!

Roger