[Cumbria] Wheel Mice

Roger Cope cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 13 22:57:01 2003

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C2BB57.087269E0

This is (one) solution for wheel mouse support in Linux. I don't use a =
wheel
mouse with my Linux box so cannot test it in advance, so various caveats
apply:

First (as you might have guessed), you'll need to open a console window,
logging in as root. cd to the /etc/X11 directory, then use your =
favourite
command-line text editor to open the XF86Config file.

Use a search to find the mouse configuration in the XF86Config file:

    mouse

It's a nice clean search command. What you're looking for is a section =
like:

Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier  "Mouse0"
      Driver      "mouse"
      Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
      Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
      Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

This is the section of XF86Config (the basic X configuration file) that
defines the mouse. The problem with recognizing the mouse wheel for what =
it
is is that most wheel mice use the Microsoft IntelliMouse Protocol. For
reasons I've yet to discover, XFree86 isn't great about handling this
protocol.

To correct the problem, you'll need to add two letters to a critical =
line in
the section.

    Option  "Protocol" "PS/2"

should read:

    Option  "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Notice the addition of IM to the PS/2 protocol. This distinguishes the =
mouse
as using the IntelliMouse protocol. Save the file, exit from the =
console,
and restart X using Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. When you return to your desktop,
you'll have a fully functional mouse wheel.

Roger
Roj is also available at:=20
http://www.morphaniel.com
roger.cope@bnfl.com

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C2BB57.087269E0
	filename="Roger Cope (roger.cope@morphaniel.com).vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Cope;Roger
FN:Roger Cope (roger.cope@morphaniel.com)
ORG:BNF plc
TITLE:Systems Analyst
TEL;WORK;VOICE:019467 71125
TEL;HOME;VOICE:01946 691471
TEL;CELL;VOICE:07092 208355
TEL;WORK;FAX:019467 84963
ADR;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;17 Highland =
View=3D0D=3D0ABransty;Whitehaven;Cumbria;United Kingdom;CA28 6HF
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:17 Highland =
View=3D0D=3D0ABransty=3D0D=3D0AWhitehaven, Cumbria United =
Kingdom=3D0D=3D0AC=3D
A28 6HF
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:roger.cope@morphaniel.com
REV:20011115T072156Z