[Cumbria] RE: Beginners Question

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 14 19:42:01 2003

Roger Cope wrote:
> Chmod and it's man page is where you go for the precise answer to your
> question. As a mild number dyslexic myself, I very rarely use chmod and only
> then when the magic number is written down for me.

Don't worry about the numbers:

chmod u+rwx = give the user(owner) of the file Read, Write and eXecute.

chmod g-x = remove eXecute permission from the Group of the file.

It's more useful doing it that way as well as you can edit permissions
rather than replacing them - when you use the number method, any missing
digits are assumed to be leading zeroes so:

chmod 4 afile

will give Others read access to the file, but remove all other
permissions to the file!
--
Schwuk