[Cumbria] The guy has a point...

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jan 15 17:30:00 2003

Schwuk wrote:

>And before Ken replies with a comment about SuSE being better/just as good
>as RedHat, we already know... :)

I wouldn't dare!

Seriously, I'm trying out a few other distros (on the laptop) just now.
ie Mandrake v9, Slackware v8.1, Red Hat v8
I'm interested in comparing these for use relatively non-techy users,
IMHO, a vital aspect of such installations is the installer programme.
Am trying them on my old  laptop.

Mandrake loaded OK and found all my hardware. I found installation app.
easy and convenient. System generally seems to work OK.

I found the Slackware installer EXTREMELY IRRITATING in that it loaded
software in stages, requiring the user to select / reject apps at each
stage of many stages. This (effectively) required constant attention
while loading. There is no indication of progress in loading indevidual
apps or in overall system progress. There are no <Back> options during
the setup proceedures and to add insult to injury, after going through
the whole procedure, the system wasn't bootable! The latter was probably
down to me, but I don't know why -- looks like LILO (chosen instead of
grub, because I know LILO) got in a twist. Based on this (IMHO
dreadfull) installer, I won't bother with Slackware again.

Am trying out / installing Red Hat on the laptop, just now.  Have
already got Red Hat running on a desktop PC.

Ken Hough