[Cumbria] The guy has a point...

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 16 19:32:01 2003

Chris Plant wrote:
> Well, did you enjoy waiting for it to compile, its a pointless exercise
> recompiling everything, time would be better spent installing redhat,
> and then compiling important libs.

Actually, with the new GRP cd's you get XFree86, Gnome, KDE, OpenOffice
and Mozilla pre-compiled for your platform (I've got images for i686,
Athlon and Pentium III), which remove most of the compiling - the only
things you really need to compile to get going are your kernel, logger
and cron. I installed it on my laptop in under two hours. My only real
complaint about it is the fact that the kernel sources and a Portage
snapshot are not included on the CD - you still have to download those...

Gentoo is not about ease of install - it's about an optimised system
that runs what _you_ want, not the creators. I did a minimal install of
RedHat the other day - even with all options turned off it's still > 450MB.

And as for how the time is better spent, that is purely objective -
you'd probably think I was wasting my time today for compiling ALSA
today when my soundcard already worked under OSS. I'm doing it for the
experience, not to get a working system - that's what RedHat is for...
--
Schwuk