[Cumbria] The guy has a point...

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 17 09:38:11 2003

Chris Plant wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 17:06, Ken Hough wrote:
>

>>Can you garrantee that?  In any case the installer is called upon to add
>>/ delete software packages as well as the original install.
>>

>It isn't.  Except for *spit* yast, I can't think of any other distro
>that works like that, all of them use the package manager during the
>install, but very few use the installer as the maintenance system.
>

>>I won't tolerate the likes of the Slackware installer.
>>

>Ever tried debian ?  Or, Windows 2000, "Press F6 Quickly!"

Making excuses for lousy software is not, INHO, the way to go  -- MS
included.

I've got used to YAST and it works. Since SuSE v8, YAST1 has been
dropped so all maintenance efforts now
go into YAST2 which can run either in text (ncurses) or graphics modes.

I'm finding that the Red Hat installer is similar to YAST2 as far as
installation is concerned, with most of
general format and options being familier.

Am presently installing Red Hat on my old laptop after rectifying a real
screw up (partition table error)
caused by a Slackware install that went wrong. This will again be a dual
boot (Linux /MS) system.

Ken