[Cumbria] The guy has a point...

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 18 22:34:01 2003

Chris Plant wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 09:36, Ken Hough wrote:
> > Chris Plant wrote:
> >

> > >On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 17:06, Ken Hough wrote:

<SNIPPED>

> > Making excuses for lousy software is not, INHO, the way to go  -- MS
> > included.
> I didn't make any excuses for lousy software, I'm perfectly happy with
> the Debian installer, it doesn't need 32meg of ram for a start.

I'll grant you that one, but on most 'modern' PCs, that's not a problem.

Ken

> > I'm finding that the Red Hat installer is similar to YAST2 as far as
> > installation is concerned, with most of
> > general format and options being familier.
> Of course it is, there isn't that much scope for changing the way an
> install works, you load modules, pick a language, etc.  Can't change the
> order.

The underlaying tast is more or less fixed, but some of us don't go much
on the 'hair shirt' approach to installing.

Ken

> > Am presently installing Red Hat on my old laptop after rectifying a real
> > screw up (partition table error)
> > caused by a Slackware install that went wrong. This will again be a dual
> > boot (Linux /MS) system.

> The installer probably called fdisk for you to partition, in which case,
> only you could have damaged the partition table.

No! I had already set up my partitions beforehand as I've done many time before
and I instructed the installer to accept those partitions -- or at least I
believe that I did. Still a mystery.

Anyway, I now have a fully operational, dual booting laptop, giving me Mandrake
v9.0 and MS Window 98 with functioning PCMCIA modem and ethernet cards under
both systems.

Ken