[Cumbria] The guy has a point...

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 18 22:34:09 2003

Paul Broomfield wrote:

> ................................................ Also I am getting married
> on the 3rd of

> Feb and then I am off to Slovakia on the 5th. I should be back on the

> 19th with a clear head and a bit more time on my hands to get some bits
> and pieces together.

Firstly, congratulations and good luck.
Secondly, A bit more time? --- You must be joking. Bet I won't see you up at

Gurnal Dubs much this year.

Ken

>  Ken, If you have the time would you like to do a more detailed
> comparison of the OS's that you have tried so that we can put it up on
> the page. Any other contributions would be warmly accepted.

The comparison was mainly for self interest in that I wanted a working
system on my old laptop. Also, I did want to be reasonably familier with how
Red Hat and how it compares with my current distro.

If I was to do more, it would probably be on the desktop K6II box with a
spare HD, but that avoids PCMCIA which has been my biggest problem. It takes
something like 2 to 3 hours to do a Linux install on the 233MHz / 64MB
laptop -- a real pain with something like Slackware.

Does anyone else have a view on this and possibly any suggestions?

Ken

> One thing
> that I would love is if any of the selafield lot can arrange a tour of
> selafield. I don't know if they do it any more, but I went on one when I
> was at collage.

I also be very interested. Back in my student days, I studied Nuclear Chem.,
spent 6 months working for the old UKAEA and visited the Springfields site
twice. I even held a BARE rod of uranium (quite heavy) destined for a Magnox
reacter somewhere. I guess that sort of thing wouldn't be allowed these
days.

Ken