[Cumbria] Red Hat shoots itself in foot?

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 31 18:24:01 2003

Michael Saunders wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Ken Hough wrote:
>

>>I still don't know why Debian might be better than SuSE for the
>>purpose in question.
>>

>Well, IIRC we were talking about installing distros on older machines,
>and Debian is much better than SuSE or Red Hat in that respect. The
>installer requires only 12 megs (2.2 and earlier could install in 4
>with a special procedure), the base system is tiny but functional, and
>the attention to packaging ensures that pointless cruft is never
>pulled in through dependencies.
>
>Well, most of the time :)
>
>Mike

Thanks for info'. It seems that most recent distros are unsuited to
older PCs. I have SuSE v6.4 still running
on a 486 DX2 80 with 18MB of RAM. The damn thing just won't die!

I must confess to never having seen Debian. I've been put off by reviews
that I've seen over the years.
If I find a spare box to play with, perhaps I'll beg a copy.

Ken