[Cumbria] Red Hat shoots itself in foot?

Roger Cope cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 31 23:12:03 2003

Schwuk said:

Not quite sure how I feel about this one...

-----------------

I think RedHat are struggling to understand the statistics generated =
from
their current offering. For instance, I pay for three licences to their
update service and within a 12 month window will certainly have upgraded =
all
my machines to the curent release of RH.=20

Many individual users will not have ever bothered taking out an RH =
licence,
so they can hardly express a preference. Corporate users will probably =
have
taken out som alternative maintenance agreement.

I think that RH are simply trying to gauge the correct timing for a =
policy
of this sort. 12 months is a stab in the dark but if it receives a wall =
of
obtjection I see them adapting it to suit.

Microsoft recently adapted their NT4 support policy to 'suit' corporate
users (support to end 2004) but in reality, most corporates will be well
aware that this is simply lip service and there is already no realistic
support for NT4 whatever Microsoft says in public.

Roger