Re[2]: [cumbria_lug] Quick survey...

Ian Linwood cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 3 20:13:01 2003

Hello trevor,

> Trevor is buying a new box for ADSL, Me thinks I might go MAAAD
> and run Errrrr, GNU/Linux on it.

If it is going to be you router/firewall, I strongly suggest OpenBSD
3.3.

The PF tool (the Packet Filter), it's recent enhancements, and the
modules being built around it make it a fantastically powerful piece
of kit.

If you have used IPF, you'll feel right at home;

Examples;
    # Pass traffic in on dc0 from the local network, 192.168.0.0/24,
    # to the OpenBSD machine's IP address 192.168.0.1. Also, pass the
    # return traffic out on dc0.
    pass in  on dc0 from 192.168.0.0/24 to 192.168.0.1
    pass out on dc0 from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.0/24

    # Pass TCP traffic in on fxp0 to the web server running on the
    # OpenBSD machine. The interface name, fxp0, is used as the
    # destination address so that packets will only match this rule if
    # they're destined for the OpenBSD machine.
    pass in on fxp0 proto tcp from any to fxp0 port www

Redirection rule:
    rdr on tl0 proto tcp from 192.0.2.1 to any port 80 -> 192.168.1.5

A much easier syntax to write or debug than IPtables...

The security enhancements built into the OS/kernel also help to make
it a particularly tough nut to crack (its not just a case of not
enabling services the code is security audited). It also has a small
install footprint.

Well worth buying the CDs. Happy on i386, alpha, mac, vax (eek), sparc
& sparc64, also hp300, amiga, mac68k & mvme68k.

I know this is a Linux UG, but I tend to use what is best for the job.

--
Best regards,
 Ian