Re[2]: [cumbria_lug] Initial Red Hat 9 impressions... (2nd attempt)

Ian Linwood cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 7 21:02:00 2003

Hello Schwuk,

Monday, July 7, 2003, 11:02:05 AM, you wrote:

>> # Text install defaults to runlevel 5, it seems.

> Never noticed as mine's a desktop machine.

IMO RH is best run at run level 6   ;-)

> Red Hat 9 passed the ultimate test (in my eyes) the other day - my wife
> (who is a *very* non-computer person) needed to write and print a
> document. She rang me once for help - where did I keep the printer paper?

My wife once called to say she had a menu on the screen, but it wasn't
one she'd seen before.

"Are you sure you want to verify this disk? [Y/N]"
(she'd got into the SCSI adapter menu :-(  )

...switch off the computer luv, NOW!

> :) - apart from that, she managed to navigate everyhting without a
> problem, and even said she preferred it to Windows. Result.

Mmmm
I broke the news to my *better* half that I couldn't get LBA/LBA2
(Little Big Adventure - terrific games) working under XP on my
workstation.

Later that evening, I found my wife staring at the Linux server
terminal, LBA install CD in hand, complaining that her login didn't work on
this box...

--
Best regards,
 Ian