[cumbria_lug] Next meeting - a newbie from Kendal would like to attend...

Bryan Johnson cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jun 6 16:43:01 2003

Hi folks,

I am moving, with my family to Kendal, for the start of the new school year
in September, and we are 'over' from Holand next week as part of our
preperations.

I have only just started using Linux on my laptop, so I can only realy bring
my ignorance to the table. For what it is worth here is where I am at:

I have Suse 8.1 installed on my laptop, with several ad-hoc upgrades of
various packages. I am currently struggling to customize a demo -e shop from
osCommerce for the use by friends for thier shop. This has brought me into
contact/conflict with Apache,Php,MySQL, The Gimp and Eclipse.

For my work I am having to get up to speed with Java/J2EE and will probably
be downloading the JBoss server in the near future.

I am currently primarily interested in open-source in education. With 3
children in the early stages of the education system it get my goat that
Mircosoft is raking in loads of money while turing out kids into Windows
junkies.

On the subject of kids and windows, I am really interested in whether there
are any good packages out there that will allow Windows games to run on a
Linux operating system. I would dearly love to migrate my childrens machines
to Linux but can't because of their love of Age of Mythology and the like.

If there is anybody intending to attend the meeting who lives in the
neighbourhood of Kendal or between Kendal and Whiteheven and wants to take
advantage of a lift please let me know.

Hopefully meet you all on Thursday.

Bryan Johnson