[Cumbria] Legal development of free software

Ivan Markowicz cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Mar 15 18:58:01 2003

>I am concerned that companies such as Microsoft will succeed in killing
>their competition- free and open source software.
>
>This will occur not through competition but by political collaboration.
>There is a real and current danger that free software will, effectively,
>be outlawed by the introduction of extended state-sanctioned monopolies.

How could an MEP be convinced to introduce a state sanctioned monopoly? I heard there were plans in Europe to start an antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft. The idea of this would be to break up a monopoly.

>Arlene McCarthy is MEP for Cumbria, Lancashire, Chester and Cheshire.
>She is currently working hard to push through proposals which will kill
>the paradigm of free software development.

Nothing she can do will kill development of Linux. Linux is released under the general public license so anyone can develop Linux. The design of the GPL and free software is such that it will grow organically and grow faster on top of what has already been made.

>We can secure the future of free and open source software by fighting
>Arlene McCarthy politically. She must be made to realise that she is
>actually not aligning herself with the power interests which will
>promote her political career.

If she was thinking of doing something which would put so much power into corporate hands as killing the only competition the Windows monopoly has, she will break her political career. This is something people just will not tolerate.

Tired of spam? >>> http://www.digiverse.net
yourname@digiverse - a unique name for your unique personality

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag