[cumbria_lug] Re[3]: [Cumbria] Mandrake 9.1

Luke Antins cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri May 2 22:24:01 2003

Eve.

I hardly think its fair to be pointing out issues like this, we all know
most software you use on production systems have security flaws come up at
some point, and due to the nature of open source they can be fixed within
hours of it happening (openssh for example).

Good sys admins would know about security issues effecting every bit of
software on there systems when they are found and will have them patched
as soon as possible.

Regarding CAN-2003-0073, this issue was
fixed in 3.23.55. <quote>
Fixed double free'd pointer bug in mysql_change_user() handling, that
enabled a specially hacked version of MySQL client to crash mysqld. Note,
that one needs to login to the server by using a valid user account to be
able to exploit this bug.
</quote>

I can remember a patch being released around the start of January for this
(before a lot of sites published the bug).

Regarding CAN-2003-0150, this issue was fixed in 3.23.56.
<quote>
Security enhancement: `mysqld' no longer reads options from
world-writeable config files.

Security enhancement: `mysqld' and `safe_mysqld' now only use the first
--user option specified on the command line. (Normally this comes from
`/etc/my.cnf')
</quote>

I really don't think posting some bugs that were found in MySQL is a good
argument for its security, even PostgreSQL gets security related bugs.

--
Kind Regards
Luke Antins