[cumbria_lug] The next Meeting

Ian Linwood cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu May 29 00:18:05 2003

Hello ,

>The next meeting is currently scheduled for the 12th June
2003 at >19:00, to be held at 21 Duke Street (Bar 21?)  in Whitehaven.

Sounds good to me. Went well the last time. The Cooper loved the run!
Managed to avoid the speed traps...

> It's an informal meeting, and there's no 'net connectivity (that we
>know of).

Lets face it, at the end of a day in front of the damn things, a beer
and a chat is a MUCH nicer proposition!

Proposition 2: anybody turns up with geeky kit gets my Guinness poured
over them. Lets be human beings for an evening.

Proposition 3: Can the next one be arranged on a Fri? I'd then book a
B&B and make a night of it :-). I'm willing to travel, and go
to the expense of B&B, you lot can get a taxi home. Party!

Luke,
Will you be there on the 12th? Look forward to meeting you, if
you are. Maybe we could discuss this;
Software: MySQL 3.x MySQL 4.x
A weakness has been identified in the way that MySQL
encrypts passwords when storing them. The problem is that passwords,
which are stored in a table using PASSWORD(), are encrypted in a way
that can be brute forced at a great speed. This allows malicious
people, who has retrieved passwords from the database, to brute force
an eight character password in a matter of hours. A tool is available
to exploit this.

Solution:
Passwords used for MySQL accounts should
not be used on other systems.

ROFL - hard coded insecurity!

--
Best regards,  Ian